The Talk That Never Was

I didn't have the "Talk" with the NB (I'm going to have to call him something else as he's not all that new or a boy). I realized I'm not ready for it. Also, I let myself (for a brief second) become like other girls. Asking questions like, where is this going? What do we mean to each other? This is not me, but for a second, it seemed awkward that I didn't over-analyze my relationship with this guy. Luckily before I talked to him, I had a little talk with myself. Something I usually do, but decided to go against nature this time.

Men I take on a case by case basis. I do not lump them all together and classify them as all the same. It's so easy to do. Oh so easy. However, most guys I will give the benefit of the doubt. There are no doubts about the NB, its the benefit of having known him for several months before we started seeing each other. So when I sat down and asked myself where I wanted our relationship to go, I realized I didn't know. I wasn't sure. What I was sure of was that I liked spending time with him. I liked getting to know him. Other than that...I didn't know. I didn't know because of where we are in our lives. I don't know where I want to be next year. Also, I have some serious family issues I'm dealing with that requires me to be more cautious when fully letting someone into my life. Some of my friends think I use it as a cop-out, but I say, "unless you've walked a mile in my shoes...". And that's not to say he couldn't handle it, but why ask him to when I'm unsure?

End result is that I'm going to let it be. I won't force it and enjoy our relationship for what it is right now. I'll let things happen organically. I'm not in a rush and something tells me neither is he.

4 comments:

Trixie Firecracker said...

It is always best to let things unfold, since in relationships, forcing them in a specific direction is a bad, bad idea.

JerseySjov said...

given that i had the whole summer away from my 'nb' i wish i had kept my trap shut...a few guys have come out of the woodwork who im more interested in and im kind of wondering how its all going to work out if my guy things we're an item

Nik said...

i think, for the most part, girls want to be an item with a guy they go on dates with. at the very least, they want to be moving in that direction. trixie, you're right, forcing it can be a bad idea. yet, i think girls feel they have to because a guy will keep that girl as his convenience while he's off doing his own thing all the while not telling the girl what he thinks of their relationship. jersey, it's too bad your 'nb' didn't think to discuss that with you when you put it out there. it's his loss. they say that actions speak louder than words. what if the actions are just as fucked up as the lack of words? that's when i seriously think about becoming celibate. WTF?

The Charming Hedonist said...

Let it be. John Lennon really knew what he was talking about. Damn that Yoko.