Erin is my idol

I miss Erin.

Erin is a friend of Tamara and I's who has been MIA for near over 2 years now. It's not that she lives out of town, in fact, she lives and works about 20 minutes from me. The issue is that she claims to be super busy with no time for outside interaction or socialization. (Sure.)

No, but seriously, to her credit, Erin is a force of nature and - besides her "I'm so busy" excuses and apologies for her hermit-like behavior - she is a woman who I admire beyond comprehension. She is witty, super intelligent, and wickedly funny. Also... 2 years ago she quit her soul-sucking desk job and spent several weeks in Australia exploring, hostelling, and picking up odd jobs like harvesting grapes. I am jealous of this, this boldness, this decision to follow your heart and dreams and live a LIFE.

Admittedly, there are challenges, mainly monetary, about this choice, and Erin has written to me about job/money strugges, et cetera after her return from Oz. But I don't know... she seems happier, more content with the direction she's taken. I know this is a guess, but I have a feeling I'm right.

I miss Erin. I know she'll read this and I hope she does. She needs to know how much she rocks and how much I wish she was back in my life.

With that being said, I felt compelled to post a recent response she sent to me about this blog and especially my last posting about Irish men. Pure Erin. Pure genius. Worthy of this blog as it's own posting.

Come back to us Erin!

*************************************

"i must draw your attention to my latest obsession before you write your british invasion-- have you ever seen band of brothers? the hbo miniseries?

if not, you must borrow it from me immediately and watch it. not only it is it a fantastic story (although part 9 makes me sob-- no bawl uncontrollably every time), but the casting was top notch. may i draw your attention to eion bailey (american probably of irish descent with that name, but can't be sure) who was also in fight club and on ER for awhile. if this acting thing doesn't work out for him, i'd like him to be my gardener. except i don't have a garden in my apartment, so we'll have to find some other way for him to earn his keep. of course i will have to win the lottery first. and we all know ron livingston.

feeling urge to go watch office space.

(going back to band of brothers) quite a few of them are english guys. of course, you can't tell from watching the miniseries since they all have american accents. but go check it out on imbd. there's no pic of shane taylor who plays doc roe, but he's super hot. matthew settle. hottie. and i swear i'm so attracted to his posture. how odd is that? (ok, i guess that's not really odd for me, it's just me)maybe it was just for the role, but if it was, he should seriously consider holding himself like that all the time. unfortunately, i think most of the guys are married. puh. so typical.


the bad thing about band of brothers is these guys are all playing WWII paratroopers. it's all based on the true story and real guys of easy company. so what's the problem? the problem is they just don't make men like that anymore. brokaw dubbed these men the greatest generation. he was right.

ok, so it's not that these guys don't exist (i remember my brothers old roommate who is a NYC firefighter who was telling us about sept. 11th and he heard about the plane hitting. his father, a retired firefighter i think, said, "son, don't go down there. i have a bad feeling about this one." and he said to his dad, "if i don't go down i can never show my face and the [firehouse] again. i won't be a man."), it's just that they are harder to find. and i put brackets around firehouse because i can't remember the word he actually used.

sometimes i think i'm too much of a romantic at heart to be born gen x. and by romantic i mean i life romantic, not a love romantic. if that makes any sense.

although i think in the end now, i just want someone who will be a good dad.

oh jeezus, that's my ovaries talking again. or possibly my uterus. i'm not entirely sure. but a good dad would always risk his own life to save his child. but the test is, would his risk his life to save someone else's child? makes me think of that guy in florida years ago (think it was summer 2001-- the year of the sharks) whose nephew's arm was bitten off by a shark.
the guy went into the water, pulled the shark out by its tail, beat it, then reached inside its mouth to pull out his nephews arm. amazing.

on a side note, i'm very glad my parents bought me a subscription to readers digest. not only is it great toilet reading (lots of quick bites, but also longer pieces for your longer moments-- brilliantly designed for the pooper), but it highlights one "ordinary hero" story each month. gives me hope. i do find it interesting that most of these stories are usually about guys from a lower-income bracket. i'm sure there have to be higher-wage-earners who are stand-up fellas too. but it feels like there's a connection.

anyhoo, how ARE you guys??? i'm catching up at work. it's strange working from home and no longer being an everyday part of the hostel. i've been working long hours because i was doing both jobs for awhile, so things got WAY behind, but it's getting better. now i will have more reasonable hours (which i set myself since my office is like 25 feet from my bed). and i can finally start getting my life back!!

talk soon,
erin

p.s. spent this morning catching up with the blog and oooohing and ahhhing my heart out. and laughing of course. brilliant stuff.

p.p.s. for brit invasion... few suggestions... johnny lee miller. i swear he hasn't aged since trainspotting. seriously adorable in mindhunters (also starring eion bailey mentioned way way above). the guy from love actually who is in love with kiera knightly. love the way he wears that tutleneck sweater that not many guys could get away with. and of course jude law.

colin firth, who although a seriously bad on-screen kisser, is still seriously hot. and i can't help but love hugh grant. even though he got a blow job from a skank prositute down the street from me. i mean, what celebrity has come back from something like that with such humour (spelling in honour of those pesky pomms) and style?

and while we're on the topic of english blokes, i saw the police at dodger stadium. not the greatest concert, but not bad. was fun. except they detroyed don't stand so close to me and i don't mean in a good way. it was like sting was singing in one key and the band playing in another. it really didn't work. it was actually painful to listen too. and i LOVE that song.

ok. i'm done now. over and out"

1 comment:

T!! said...

I miss you too Erin!!! Come back to us soon!!!