The "F" word

No, I’m not talking about fuck (yeah, I said it) I’m talking about the other “F” word – Feminist. Anyone who knows me well enough knows I am very proud to call myself a feminist (as I feel all women should)- however I still can’t understand women who say things like “X Y and Z pisses me off, or is unfair but…oh I’m not a feminist or anything.” Um, excuse me? But when exactly did that become a bad thing and something to back pedal about? Personally, I’m quite tired of the negative stereotype out there of some rough, tough, butch-type woman who hates all men. I mean really, isn’t that getting a bit old? Let’s retire that one already – put it on the shelf…like, way, WAY in the back with that copy of "The Rules".

Now, I’m not going to sit here and say that men and women should be equals – cause really, I don’t want to be "equal" to a man. Men and women are different in so many ways – we were given natural strengths and weaknesses that compliment each other, which to me, creates a perfect balance. But what I do believe in is a fairness between men and women – that women should be given, at the very least, the same chances as men without any underlying element of repression. I know a lot of men out there probably think women are treated pretty damn good in terms of “equality” and being given fair shots, but I’m here to tell you that the glass ceiling does exist, and that there are still a lot of injustices out there happening to women daily.

In that light, and for the record, I do not ever condone women playing the victim - that we certainly are not. However, I do believe women have to work a little harder than our counterparts to even be noticed or considered in the same line up. Do I think it’s fair or right? No. But nevertheless we need to do what we have to in order to get there – even if it means pushing, clawing or scratching our way to the top. On a personal frustration level, specially in terms of the work place, I constantly see women get pigeon-holed into being receptionists, administrative assistants and secretaries as their way of getting “a foot in the door.” Now, there are a few male assistants sprinkled here and there, but it’s a lot rarer to see. Most of the time, men starting out in entry level positions are given better titles like junior account executive or associate coordinator. Do men have to take typing tests as part of their interview process? I think not. But women do. Fair?

Even more so than the glass ceiling bullshit, another topic affecting women is more important to me than anything – and that is violence against women. Every time I turn on the news another woman has been murdered, abducted, raped or beaten. Now, I don’t mean to be a downer here, but this shit is real, and it's unacceptable. I know that crimes are always going to happen, but the way our society has been socialized to accept this as “just the way things are” blows my mind. I read a book recently that talked about how women live their lives by the “rape schedule.” The rape schedule is simply the way women change little things in their daily lives due to a subconscious fear of being harmed. Ladies, think this doesn’t apply to you? Think again. When you’re walking to your parked car at night, do you get your keys out of your purse before you start walking – maybe even holding your biggest key in your hand just in case you need to use it as a weapon? Do you look around more when you’re by yourself, making sure no one is following you? Would you ever go for a walk or run at night? Women, whether they realize it or not, have trained themselves instinctively to be more aware and more cautious…most men don’t even give any of this a second thought when they’re out running errands, out at night or hanging out at a bar - they don't have the (no matter how tiny) fear of a predator lurking in the corner. The objectification of women in the media only adds to this epidemic – over-sexualizing women in such a way that we are viewed as objects open for the taking at any time. (But that’s a whole other post I might save for later…) I don’t have the answer on how to change any of this – and sadly, I’m sure it will only get worse…and that makes me sad and pissed off all at the same time.

So, what’s my bottom line? Women need to keep empowering themselves any way they can. Be it in their careers, personal lives or relationships, and especially how we view ourselves overall. Being a feminist doesn’t mean you’re some ugly broad who hates on men. I can be a feminist and still like to wear lipstick. I can be a feminist and still like a man to open my car door. It really boils my blood to hear people say I’m not REALLY a feminist when I enjoy things that are FEMININE (duh, I am a woman), or when I like men to, oh, I don’t know, have manners and be a gentleman?

Ladies, and gents, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. So speak up!

xo.

5 comments:

THE SEB said...

can o worms, this one. those who know me know i could hold forth for a freaking month on this. props for not pulling yr punch, d, and for calling more than half the stuff talked about here what it really is.

d probably already knows a book by somebody named susan faludi called backlash that lays it out as real as i've personally seen. not that i feel so great about being the white man naming books for women to read in this scenario, but at least it's written by a woman...

beyond that i'll be a good little semi enlightened male and say i don't know, i'm more interested in hearing what the women have to say.

holler,
s

Trixie Firecracker said...

I just read your schpiel about the "rape schedule" and it make me think of Law and Order SVU, which my housemate and I watch religiously, and of course it freaks the shit out of me.

As for feminists - a prominent feminist pointed this out: "the victory [of feminism] lasted 30 seconds, the backlash lasted 20 years." I feel it's just an example of that, "feminist" is a bad word, and it calls to mind a *particular* stereotype and that's what women think when they think of the term "feminist."

I also read this other story once (can't remember the source, somewhere online) about how single women seem to get more job promotions because they have "sexual currency" to spread around that their married counterparts don't. This doesn't happen to men.

SO. NOT. FAIR. Women = still objectified. Ivy League Whore = Still Pissed.

Women are smart enough and strong enough that they are able to empower themselves. Most just don't think they can (I think?)

Speaking of which, it really bugs me how some women treat other women (I can't particularily remember any books aside from maybe Catfight by Leora Tanenbaum, author of Slut: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation , which btw, is an awesome book)...but it seems that when women have problems with men, they never blame the men...they blame other women (love triangles anyone?)

So if anything...women need to stop fighting amongst themselves first.

...and I just wrote a book-length comment. Cheers!

JerseySjov said...

i read this whole blog last night...every post from january to now... i love it!!

about this post- people need to stop thinking of 'feminist' as a bad thing to be. we want equal rights and opportunities in life, that doesnt mean that we're man-hating butch chicks.
trixie definately has the right idea when she says that women need to stop being bitches to each other in order to get ahead. if we cant trust each other, who can we trust??

Nik said...

Jersey - i'm so happy you like the blog!! We love to hear that!!

Trixie - you are right, woman need to stop trying to hold each other back. we need to respect ourselves and each other. how else will others respect us if we don't respect each other?

DJ - great post. women should empower themselves. they should know that they can do anything they put their minds to. they choose their own destiny. great post.

dj said...

thanks for all those who commented...especially to the new readers! it's inspiring to know there are other women (and men/man) who feel the same way i do.

cheers,
d