Let Me Upgrade You...

I've been entertaining the thought of someone for the past few weeks. I like this period in the relationship (?) when you haven't defined what you are yet, but you're open to the possibility of more. It's like wading into the ocean, you start with your toe and work your way up. When you're fully immersed, that's when you've decided that it's for the long haul. Well, I'm about calf-deep. The water feels pretty nice and I think I might stay in long enough to see how nice it can get.

The New Boy (L) isn't so new. I've known him for about a year. Several months ago I started to realize that I was attracted to him and just recently we started seeing each other. Right now he's a breathe of fresh air. I don't know about you ladies (or guys), but I always come into contact with guys who feel the need to challenge me. These guys are constantly looking for some chink in my armor. I hate it! L isn't that way. He's confident in who he is enough not feel threatened by the fabulousness that is Nik. :) I adore this quality.

Here's the thing I don't like, his pillows. I know it's stupid, but I like a fluffy pillow and I think everyone should have them. I thought about it so much I almost went out and bought him two new fluffy pillows. I knew of a department store sale so I figured it would be cool. But I stopped myself. I'm not this man's girlfriend or his mother. If I start down this path, I'll be changing every other thing I think needs a little upgrading. I say upgrade because I don't want his core to change, but there are some qualities about him that I see need a little spit shine. What is it about us women that when we get something new we have to customize it to our liking? Why can't we just leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Princess Bubble? This fairy tale is about a single princess-very funny.

JerseySjov said...

that you're stressing about his pillows might be your mind just scrambling to find anything to help you justify not totally falling for him.
i'd bring it up in a joking way: "what's up with your wack pillows? are those even comfortable to you?"
if he seems open to it tell him you think you remember seeing something about a sale on tv [or whatever, idk if they do commercials for pillow sales] and go with him get some new ones. if he says he likes them that way or they don't bother him, just leave it be; you can always bring your own when you sleep over ;)

Trixie Firecracker said...

We like to customize our men to what we see fit, maybe in the hopes of making an almost-perfect guy totally perfect. I don't know if that's rational or not, and I suppose there's no one out there that's "100% perfect." Maybe you have a fear that he's not The One and it's manifesting itself in the form of this pillow fiasco.

Speaking of fluffy pillows: it is definitely a girl thing to have a lot of pillows but it's increasingly becoming gender neutral. Maybe guys are getting better at this modern-living thing! I however, have only the bare minimum of pillows for full sized bed. Pathetic.

Deanna said...

love this post. i'm the queen of "upgrading" and i really dont view it as changing a person or trying to find something wrong with them or make them perfect (cause god knows that's never gonna happen!) :)

we are women just do things like that because it's in our nature. you just want a damn fluffy pillow - big deal. you aren't complaining or trying to change his actions, behavior or who he is inside. we just like pretty things around us - i dont think that's something we need to apologize for or make excuses for.

i have yet to meet a guy who has protested to my buying or adding nicer "girly" things (if you want to even call it that). my boyfriend would probably never go out and buy 500 thread count sheets or scented candles. but i definitely know he enjoys them when they're there. :)