I just don't get it

I celebrated my birthday this past weekend. Good times were had by all. At least that's what the pictures indicate. As I looked through the pictures with my mother(well the ones that were mommy proofed) she kept saying, "what beautiful girls. why are they single again?" I know most of us would react to that question with, "because they want to be", but that's not the case. With the exception of two friends, one who is already in a relationship and another who says she want to focus on her career, my friends want to be in a relationship.

We went to dinner and dancing for my birthday. During the dancing, not one guy expressed an interest in any of the girls, if they did, I didn't see it. Granted, the girls could have gone up to any guy they had an interest in, but let's face it, it's rare for that to happen. So it falls to the guy to make that first move. None did, and my friends are hot. Not she's cute, but she has a great personality. Hot, WITH a great personality. What more could a man ask for, a golden snatch?

I'm reading this book about how men have been devalued and are basically becoming obsolete in society. As women advance, men become stagnate. Sadly, radical feminists(or the misguided feminist) have been so focused on women getting ahead, there wasn't much consideration to who they would relate to when they reached "the promised land." I'm inclined to agree with certain arguments in the book, but when I witness things like last Saturday night, I think, WTF? Unfortunately, we now have guys who say its so hard on them, that they hate rejection and women should shoulder half the responsibility of getting together. So basically women are now supposed to go out bring home the bacon, cook it, birth the babies, take care of them AND see a man, approach him, convince him she's the one for him, THEN take care of his ass too? it's no wonder they are becoming obsolete, they are mitigating their purpose and importance. well, besides the obvious purpose and even then, science is moving so rapidly that we won't need them for that anymore.

This makes me sad. Would I give up the advancement of females just to have more males be men? No. Why should I? How about they man up to the new generation of woman? I mean really.

5 comments:

Trixie Firecracker said...

Happy birthday! Men need to basically just man up!Our advancement is here to stay and they will have to simply deal with it.

That being said, I think that feminism ultimately didn't win in the United States since we still don't have gender equity (our scandanavian friends are so much better at that stuff)...so until strong patricarchal social structures die, we're still screwed.

JerseySjov said...

i think men are just confused. they've been raised to believe that this is a man-happy society, a patriarchy, etc, but then find themselves surrounded by strong powerful women.
seriously, just because women can have jobs outside of the house now doesn't mean that we have to do effing everything. women still do much more domestic labor than men; they put more into raising children, do the cooking/cleaning, and hold down full-time jobs? not fair

The Charming Hedonist said...

I'm all for equality for women, but I don't necessarily think that not shaving my legs and suing a man for sexual harrassment because he patted me on the back makes me more of a woman.

I still like to have the door held open for me, I still like to have a man want to protect me. And I don't think that makes me any less of a woman.

Mo said...

Happy B-day Nik! Sorry I couldn't make it to the shindig. :(

I agree with jerseyjov and feel like men are generally confused. I can go on a looooong diatribe about this and maybe it's time for another "debunkaboy" session, but for now....I'm not trying to side with men when I say what I'm going to say next, but I feel like it should be out there.

I think men are also afraid. They see a beautiful, strong, and sexy woman and are scared to get the "f-off" if they eventually gather enough cajones to even say "hi." This is why guys say they love it when a woman makes the first move - because it relieves them of the pressure and they feel that it's sexy.

But on the flip side of things, back to the confusion thing. Men don't know what the right choice is now, and when the make the wrong choice, they'll either a) slink off with their tails between their legs and swear never to try again or b) call the woman a bitch or something worse to overcompensate for deep-seated frustration and resentment.

I think it's time for society to do something to make men feel worthy again. I'm not saying that we should go back to where things were, but maybe if some genius opportunist comes along with a book or seminar called "how to be a man (and a gentleman) in the new millenium, without a) getting your balls busted, b) called a sexist pig, or c) labeled a spineless loser" then that person would be one of the richest m*tha*f*ckas in the world.

Wylie said...

-drops head into hands-

I don't even know where to begin. So I won't.