When to have, 'The TALK'

oh, 'the talk'.you know what i mean, the talk you have with the person you're dating as to what you mean to them. what is your status in their life. girlfriend? boyfriend? booty-call? what?! i don't like it because i'm one of those weird people who actually means what i say. my word is my bond. if i say i'm going to do something, i will bend over backwards trying to do it(actually, it's kinda easy considering i can literally bend over backwards).

so i've been dating the NB for several months now and neither of us have brought our status to one another. i don't feel it's the right time. i don't know what he's thinking, but several of his friends have classified me as his "girl". he doesn't correct them either way and i don't mind. i like this loosely defined period. i feel like i'm sampling the goods without actually making the purchase (i'm pretty sure i want to buy). i know it is all about timing. when the right time comes, it'll come. i usually wait until i feel it. the times i haven't, guys have left because i was taking too long. well, good riddance. but this guy now? i want to keep him around... but as my boyfriend? again, when should you have, 'the talk'?

4 comments:

The Charming Hedonist said...

This is why I love the phrase, "So seriously, what are we doing here?"

Good luck with it.

Trixie Firecracker said...

Well, considering that I knew guys who called referring to me as their "girlfriend" before I approved it...The Talk is always necessary for anything going on for that amount of time. Good luck!

JerseySjov said...

i hate the talk, and i hate not knowing what your status is with someone else. it's a tricky situation

<3 J. said...

I think if you like this guy and wanna keep him around you gotta just suck it up and ask. Be casual. I mean, you don't have to just right into the whole "girlfriend/boyfriend" thing.

When the moment of truth came up with the guy I'm seeing now we decided we both didn't want to see other people, and that we both wanted to see if this could potentially turn into a relationship.

I love knowing that we're on the same page. You'll feel much better knowing I'm sure. Good luck!