Catcalls? I say, nay nay!!

I like to be admired by men just as much as the next girl, but the one of the things that makes me feel like taking a scalding hot shower is catcalls. Male adoration is all well and good, as long as it's done in a way that reduce the woman to a slab of meat and him the ravenous dog ready to gobble it up. Here are some of my most recent catcalls.

1. Last summer I was at Venice Beach with some friends. We were doing the Vendor Crawl, where you look at every vendor's goods and don't buy a damn thing. We approach this one vendor selling paintings of black folks (ala, Good Times), all of a sudden we here this voice shout out, "GOD DAMN!! You are so beautiful!! I know a man who would love to take care of you and treat you like the queen you are!!" I look up and this guy(the artist I guess) was looking at me intently with his hands clasped over his heart. Having an idea who the 'guy' he was talking about is, I ask, "Really, who?" He responds,"Me, girrrlll!" Oh great... Don't get me wrong, the guy wasn't unattractive, just not attractive to me. Especially hollering at me so loud that half of VB can hear you. My friends heckle me. I thank the guy for the compliment and move on.

2. I'm walking from my office building to a restaurant and this man sitting at a bus stop hollers at me from across the street, " Hey Girl, where your man at?!?!" My immediate response was, "At work!" The guy responds, "Well go home and tell him he's a lucky man." Though the holler was a little embarrassing, it was a nice change from the normal catcall.

I'm sure you ladies have experienced some of the same. Share your stories.

6 comments:

JerseySjov said...

a delivery guy texted me after giving me my food asking 'do u have a man?'
since he was NOT my type, i lied and said yes, and he responded 'o. does he go 2 school wit u?'
because, you know, i'd cheat on my man because he wasn't nearby.

a few weeks later, walking to dinner with a group of girlfriends, you would have thought we were holding signs that said 'honk if you think honking at us will make us want to sleep with you'

at work a huge burly man ogled me for 10 minutes while he waited for his food, and as he left he passed by the register and said 'keep smiling, beautiful' with a wink.

the last one's not really a catcall, but it was not cool.

The Charming Hedonist said...

I park about a half a block from where I work and have to walk down a busy street and I get honked at. Yeah, because I'm going to ditch the stillettos and run after the man honking at me! Oh yeah baby!

Really? Please.

Trixie Firecracker said...

Well, this isn't really a catcall story, but my friend's fraternity brother once said that I should go downtown with him so we could have a threesome because like he said "I know you'd love to write about it on your blog."

I'm so glad he graduated.

Nik said...

i laughed so hard reading your stories. what is wrong with men? i think the catcalls and the leering is more for them. i don't think there is a woman alive who would drop everything and run to the guy that eyes her like a dog does a bone.

JerseySjov said...

omg i can't believe i forgot this one:

i was dancing on this little platform with some of my gay guy friends and i notice a guy on the floor totally staring at me. next thing i know he's pressing up on me and whispering 'you're lookin' so hot up here, you're stealing the show' into my ear. thank god for my gays; they totally boxed him out when they saw my creeped-out face

Anonymous said...

These both happened on BART last June, both by men who had departed paths with their teeth quite some time ago:

"Can I be your friend?"

"Are you an actress?"