Today = No

Every once in a while during your life a day comes by that you wished never really happened. When all is well and good, you forget that those kind of days exist - you're blissfully unaware, or choose to be unaware - because the moment you think about those days, you pray to god they never come.

Today was that day for me. Today was a CRAP DAY.

It all started at 2:30 in the morning when my housemate knocks on my boyfriend and I's door and tells us there some sort of gas leak in the house. When we come out, the house indeed smelled like gas. Needless to say, we're a bit concerned. We figure out that the gas leak is coming from our stove, and that the majority of the gas is spreading into my housemate's room. Bad times.

Two days ago my landlord comes by the house to fumigate it for roaches. Yes, another bad times, but bearable. All pilot lights and gas sources had to be turned off in the house. Off goes the heater pilot and off goes the stove's gas source... after my landlord wrenches the stove away from the wall to try and get to the switch. Let me remind you that I had to end up taking a day off during this time to prep the house and get my dog out of the building.

Take into account also that last week, I had to take a day off because I wasn't feeling well, and a week before then, I had car problems and came to work late.

So anyway, back to last night. I tell my bf and housemate (and her friend who was visiting and first smelled the gas) that the leak was from the stove and must have happened when my landlord moved the stove from the wall.

My bf calls the gas company. The gas company rep says that they can't have someone over until between 7 am and 12 pm. What do you think? Unacceptable? I think so. My bf says something like "so what are we supposed to do beforehand?" The rep's response?


"Go to another room or another part of the house."


Yeah.

We're all feeling pissed and helpless after this call. I mean, what do we know about gas? Our frame of reference is like, the scene from Fight Club... you know... KABOOOM!???

So after hanging up, my bf goes, "fuck this, I'm going to call the fire department."


5 minutes later, 2 fire trucks and 10 firefighters are at our door, all of them looking for the main gas line to turn it off. Keep in mind that this is now about 3:30 in the morning. We're irate. The fire chief is pretty irate too that he and his men had to get up at 3:30 in the morning to find and turn off a gas line. We didn't know where it was (well now we do - very helpful.) And the gas company sucks ass. Eventually they find it, turn it off, and go on their merry way. This is 20 minutes later.

We open some doors and windows and turn on some fans to get rid of the gas. My housemate and her friend decide to leave and stay at his house until the gas is taken care of the next day. (I encourage them to do so.) I ask my bf if he can stay tomorrow morning to let in the gas guy whenever he comes by. He says he can't because he has an important appointment to get his car alarm installed on his new car and he can't reschedule. I go 'fine' and realize... great... I took a day off last week, a day off the week before, a day off two days ago, and now I may have to take a half day off today. I'm going to get in trouble.

My bf and I go to bed and have a hard time falling asleep.

Oh, and my bf's sis is in town and we had to wake her up for this drama... yay.

I wake up around 7:30 am and call into work and leave a message with my colleague/supervisor about what happened and that I MAY have to come in late to work or ... even stay home again today. Of course, 30 minutes later, she calls back.

Keep in mind that she's one way cool chick, my colleague/supervisor. (and you girls know who she is.) Like... really cool. I love her. But now she had no choice. She, being professional, called me on my "pattern of absences." I note that this was difficult for her to say because she understands that life happens and sometimes that includes shit hitting the life fan. But yeah, she had to, and it sucked. I felt terrible, frustrated and pissed - at myself and at life. I never wanted her to feel like she was stuck between a rock and hard place, and now I'm sorta in trouble and also had to put her into that situation.

The gas guy arrives. He checks everything and we realize that the stove has ANOTHER pilot light we were unaware of and that we didn't relight when we turned the gas back on after the fumigation. ALL THIS BULLSHIT FOR SOMETHING THIS STUPID. I feel stupid. All of us feel stupid. Then... the gas guy gives me the company's toll free number and says "you know, we're on call 24/7. You don't have to call the fire dept., just call us and we'll be here right away if it's something as serious as a gas leak."

I call bullshit. I tell him so and let him know what happened last night. I call my bf at work and tell him what happened. The gas guy is surprised at what came to pass last night. So was my bf... to put it lightly. He calls the gas company and complains. Good thing cuz now it's on the record and the gas company rep is in trouble. hahahahaha.

So I finally make it to work and I feel like total and utter crap. But no, wait... it gets better.

I try to fill my car's gas tank on my way to work and my card isn't working. I go to my online banking site and find out that I'm $250 overdrawn....

Because I balanced my budget wrong... Now i'm also out of gas. Gasoline. (fucking gas, gas, gas. Fuck you.)



I almost break down and cry.


Yeah. Today is a crap day.