Bite-Sized Boys and The Amazons They Love...


Forgive me if this is long and somewhat rambling, but that's just how my brain is working today.

So, I went out to eat at this restaurant by my house with one of my sisters and a friend Saturday night. It just opened not too long ago and my sister and I gave it a try, discovering, to our delight, that it was muy tasty. When we were there that first time about 6 or so weeks ago, the waiter we had was this super-friendly, enjoyable, and slightly height-challenged guy (much superior to this other guy who's get a little too flustered when it's busy in there/is not quite as attentive as he should be).

Anyway, on Saturday night we went in and ended up sitting at one of the tables assigned to the new girl (or else they just sicked her on us regardless since we eat there fairly regularly now...I couldn't quite tell). She gave us our drinks and took our order and disappeared for awhile. Our original Little Waiter Boy walked by to clean the table so I smiled at him and waved, just because I'm friendly like that.

He just smiled back a little - you know, when someone you don't know smiles at you and you're acknowledging their presence - and then came to a screeching halt before he got past the booth, took a step back and said, "Oh hey! I didn't recognize you at first." (I'm pretty sure I had braids the first time I went in - now I'm rocking the psuedo-fro.) He has his arm out and then says, "Gimme a hug, girl." So I do, as I am a fan of hugs.

He then proceeds to share that he has an audition the next day for a gay man role but doesn't know how he's going to do it - totally flaming vs. straight, repressed southern closet gay. I make a suggestion to play it as a normal dude with slight flaming tendencies (since you don't see that guy very often in things). He says that it's a good idea and jokes that if he gets the part I should get royalties or a fee. For the rest of the night, he randomly stops by to check on us/chat awhile. He even cleared our Miso bowls and made sure our food got sent out to us when it was taking too long. It was like we had two waiters.

During this whole bit, my friend was amazed that he kept coming by so much. I was slightly less amazed as I realized this waiter is the latest in a string of bite-sized boys who seem to be gravitating toward me. It's not like he's a legal midget or anything - I'd peg him somewhere between 5'6 and 5'8 (I never actually stood next to him so I can't be sure). But I'm pushing 6'0. So, to me, he's bite-sized. He's also Southern, which is a reoccurring trait amongst the bite-sized bits who seem to love me so.

I'm starting to worry because I'd prefer to date a guy that I don't have to bend over to hug. I hesitate to say it out loud lest it become a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I fear that the only men I'll be able to date will be shorter than me.

I know, I know. It's vain and shallow...but I don't like feeling like I tower over the guy who's supposed to get in bar fights over me. Admittedly it's just bullshit childhood baggage, but that baggage has my name and address on it and it ain't getting lost at the airport.

This is something I'll get over, I suppose. Dating a guy shorter than I am isn't that a big deal. I mean, I've done it before and it worked out fine. And, quite frankly, it's something I'll have to do considering just how small a dating pool I have to work with - especially since all the guys my height or taller seem to be looking for bite-sized girls. It's just dismaying is all. I'd like to be the short(er) one for a change.

I'd like to feel like the delicate mother fucking flower I am.

No comments: