do not pass go. do not collect $200.

this afternoon, while contemplating the current state of my love life (or sex life, more accurately), i made a couple of very interesting observations. yes, it's true. i have yet again realized to a deeper extent my own retardation, coupled of course with the innate douchdome of the male gender. let me explain....

i am not, by default, a game player. i'm just not. it never suited me as i have very limited patience, and no strategic skills whatsoever when it comes to dating. however, this afternoon, i found myself dismissing the idea of calling either of my gentlemen "friends" on the basis of the FACT that men are more likely to do what you want when they call you. just a few days ago, actually, a girlfriend and i were discussing the interesting observation that men will do ANYTHING for the women in their life as long as IT IS THEIR IDEA. thus, as i placed my unused phone back into my purse, i was stunned by the fact that i was, indeed, playing a game. me? a game player? who knew? and then it dawned on me that i am not a game player at all. i am still the up-front person i've always been... i've just been forced unknowingly into the game by the men in my life.

untrue you say? well, then consider this: men love games. although they will all adamantly deny the idea that they play games in relationships (because that is, of course, the woman's role, isn't it? hahah), we all know that most men are innately drawn to sports, rivalry, competition, and anything that involves "winning". let's blame it on the "hunter" gene, if we must.... but, however you want to look at it, no matter how society has evolved, the "i am man. i am strong. i am the winner!" mentality has yet to change. and so i find myself, waiting, without a phone call, yeilding to the douchdome of man....

the ridiculous part of it all, of course, is that in realizing the nature of this relationship, i have become better at "playing" than my male counterparts who have unwittingly forced me into this game in the first place. so, i'll play. and i'll wait for their call...but, then, it will be my turn. ;)

6 comments:

Mo said...

Do I like men who play games? No. Do I like games, period? Hell no. But (sigh) I have to admit that even when you claim you have no game then that, in essence, IS YOUR GAME. "Games" are part of dating. Some are more blatant or heavy-handed with it than others.

It is very difficult for me to admit that I am totally with you on what you say. No matter how modern one claims our society has become in terms of male/female dynamics and roles, certain "rules" still apply unfortunately and that's if you're a girl, you're "supposed" to let the guy come after you. Even though some allowances have been made (i.e., guys loving girls who make the first move, etc.) once the game is afoot and regardless of who made the first move, subsequent moves must be made by the male. He acts, you're only allowed "RE-ACT."

I shudder as I write this, but I have to more or less agree with you, Gina.

I agree that men seem to be more innately predispositioned to "the game." Is it that testosterone/hunter ancestor/competitive nature? Perhaps. Do we have to succumb to it? Unfortunately... for now.

But think of it this way: By acting aloof and uninterested, you're in fact the one in control. Why relationships have to deal with control/non-control, I don't know and it sucks, but it's true. I hope this changes, but for now, behold, our cage.

It's not your fault. Maybe it's the guys to blame - the ones who like this so-called game playing.

dj said...

i think the statement you told me your friend uses all the time works well in response to this blog: "i win." (which btw, is the greatest thing ever). and yes, it's ideal that we shouldn't have to play games and be able to just do and say everything we feel, but unfortuantely, it doesn't work like that. and to a certain extent, girls do like a challenge too. i mean, if a guy was handing it to us on a silver platter, i can't say that all of us would be ready to eat. we too like to sense of conquering - cause it makes the meal just that much sweeter...damn that was a good analogy :) me and food i swear...

all in all, there's also a fine line between "playing the game" and being dicked around. and i think all of us have a gut feeling eventually in figuring out what exactly is going on. when it no longer feels right and it's hurting you more than making you feel good about yourself -- no game is worth playing. xo

Nik said...

I say play the game as long as its your rules and not his. that is where we get that feeling in the pits of our stomachs like what we're doing is wrong. I agree, we have to play games, but it is much easier if we play by our own rules. train them before they train you. i mean that with the utmost respect.;)

T!! said...

I don't play games really. I don't have the time or patience for it. Though I do realize the need for it. I'd say I'm...like...95% game free.

I'm a hell of a flirt though. Does that count as game-playing?

Mo said...

T...

Um... yeah... and you're so good at it too! Tee hee!

Girls, you should watch her in action. I mean, seriously, within an hour, she got some serious background info on Chi-Town, including what kind of tattoos he has hidden under his white dress shirt.

T!! said...

Actually...I only talked to him for about 5 minutes.

Recognize. lol